- Plan / Information (Français)
- Plan guide accessibilité
- Plan / Information (English)
- Plan for visitors with mobility impairments
- Mapa / Informação
- Mappa/ Informazioni
- Plan / Information (Deutsch)
- Plano / Información
- план / информация (Русский)
- 루브르 박물관 관람 안내
- مخطط الزيارة\ المعلومات
- Plan / informacja (polski)
Work Lion attacking a bull
Department of Decorative Arts: Renaissance
Lion attaquant un taureau
© 1997 RMN / Daniel Arnaudet
Bronze group cast using the lost wax process, inspired by classical marble groups and created originally by Giovanni da Bologna (Giambologna) c.1580. Together with its companion piece, Lion attacking a Horse, it was listed in an inventory of a collection drawn up in 1611. This group was cast by Antonio Susini, whose signature is found under the hoof of the bull's right hindleg. Formerly part of the Crown Bronze collection, it also bears the inscription "No. 19" on the left of the bull's rump.
Subject and background history
Like its companion piece, Lion attacking a horse, this group was inspired by classical marble sculpture. Giovanni da Bologna supplied the models, as testified by an inventory of 1611. The group entitled Lion attacking a horse in the Detroit Institute of Art may have been conceived as the pendant for the Louvre bronze.
Caster and sculptor
Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, poured in liquid form, in the process known as casting, into a mould made from a clay or wax model. Giovanni da Bologna, also known as Giambologna (1529-1608), spent his entire career in Italy, mainly in Florence, in the service of the Medici. One of the greatest of all Mannerist sculptors, he created numerous models for small bronzes. Although Vasari claimed he did not cast these himself, some bear his signature. Antonio Susini (known to have been in Florence in 1572-1624) cast bronzes in Giovanni da Bologna's workshop until the early seventeenth century.
A royal collection
After the manner of the Italian Renaissance princes, Louis XIV felt himself duty-bound to own a collection of bronze statuettes that would demonstrate his interest in Renaissance humanism. Purchased by the King in 1663 at the sale of the collection of Louis Cauchon d'Hesselin, advisor to the king, it was listed in the royal furniture registry until the French Revolution and was sent to the Museum in 1797. In 1906, it was transferred to the Louvre on the initiative of prime minister Georges Clémenceau.
Antonio SUSINI (Actif de 1580 à 1624)
Lion attaquant un taureau
H. : 21 cm. ; L. : 28,50 cm.
Entré dans les collections royales en 1663
Signé : ANT/SUSI/NI. F(d'après un modèle de Jean Bologne)
Rotonde Jean Boulogne
The Louvre is open every day (except Tuesday) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.