- Plan / Information (Français)
- Plan guide accessibilité
- Plan / Information (English)
- Plan for visitors with mobility impairments
- Mapa / Informação
- Mappa/ Informazioni
- Plan / Information (Deutsch)
- Plano / Información
- план / информация (Русский)
- 루브르 박물관 관람 안내
- مخطط الزيارة\ المعلومات
- Plan / informacja (polski)
Work Pair of fauteuils à la reine
Department of Decorative Arts: 18th century: neoclassicism
Paire de fauteuils à la Reine
© 2010 RMN / Martine Beck-Coppola
18th century: neoclassicism
These two fauteuils are termed 'à la reine' in reference to their flat back. They were part of a set of twelve armchairs created for the 'Salon des Jeux' (or game room) of Louis XVI at the Château de Saint Cloud. The Metropolitan Museum, New York, owns one more item from this suite.
Their frame is made of gilt walnut. The upholstery is of brocaded silk with a design of rose vines. The backs and the seat rails are decorated with a continous border of entrelac and rosettes.
Fauteuils by Jacob
The two armchairs in the Musée du Louvre are not stamped, but a handwritten label on the reverse of the back rail indicates that they were created by the cabinetmaker and chairmaker Georges Jacob (1739-1814). Jacob delegated the task of carving and gilding so we do not know the names of the other artisans involved. Capin furnished the upholstery, which was rewoven in 1948 by Tassinari after the original model. It is a fabric from Lyon with a green ground and a design of rose vines.
The Louis XVI style
These fauteuils à la reine are in the style of Louis XVI. The legs are straight (and no longer curved as during the time of Louis XV) and turned; the arm supports are gondola-shaped. The backs of these chairs, like those of the Louis XV fauteuils à la reine, are flat, but Jacob innovated by making them square. This type of back is known as a square back 'à la reine'.
The Château de Saint Cloud
The château was built by Jules-Hardouin Mansart at the end of the 17th century for Philippe of Orléans, the brother of Louis XIV. Marie-Antoinette purchased it in 1785. Transformed under the direction of the architect Mique, it was then entirely fitted with new furniture. The set of twelve armchairs by Jacob was placed in the 'Salon des Jeux'. Conceived as the axis of the building, the 'Salon" was lit by three windows giving onto the 'Cour d'Honneur'.
BibliographyVerlet Pierre, Le mobilier royal français, Paris, 1955, pp. 152-154, pl. XXXVI-XXXVII.
Catalogue de l'exposition Vingt ans d'acquisition au Musée du Louvre 1947-1967, n 285.
Pallot Bill, Le Mobilier du Musée du Louvre, tome 2, Dijon, 1993, pp. 166-168.
Paire de fauteuils à la Reine
1787 - 1788
Noyer doré ; soierie à décor de rosiers refaite d'après le modèle original de la garniture livrée par Capin
H. : 1 m. ; L. : 0,69 m. ; Pr. : 0,60 m.
Provenance : Salon des Jeux de Louis XVI à Saint-CloudAcquis en 1948
OA 9449 a, 9449 b
The Louvre is open every day (except Tuesday) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.