Home>The Department of Decorative Arts’ new galleriesFrom Louis XIV...
Event The Department of Decorative Arts’ new galleries
From Louis XIV to Louis XVI, the art of French living
The renovation of the Eighteenth-century Decorative Arts galleries was made possible thanks to the generous support of benefactors committed to this project:
Montres Breguet; the Louvre Atlanta Partnership; Cercle Cressent; American Friends of the Louvre; the Société des Amis du Louvre; MGM China, Pansy Ho, Yan Pei-Ming; the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco with the backing of Cynthia Fry Gunn and John A. Gunn; eni; Kinoshita Group; Gilbert and Rose Marie Chagoury Foundation; Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation; Edmond de Rothschild Foundations.
The exhibition design was made possible thanks to the generous support of Jacques Garcia.
The Department of Decorative Arts’ collections offer a broad panorama of interior design, production from major manufactories, crafts, and the art trade, primarily French in character, from the reign of Louis XIV up to the French Revolution.
Consisting of wood paneling and painted decorative elements, tapestries, fine furniture, decorative bronzework, marble items, gold- and silverware, jewelry, scientific instruments, European faience and porcelain, these collections, formerly the preserve mainly of royalty, are remarkable in character.
The new setting, with over two thousand exhibits, is designed to shed light on both the technical and stylistic history, introducing the major residences and key figures of the time—the artists, craftsmen, and those who commissioned their work.
Three main chronological and stylistic sequences make up the visitor trail:
- 1660–1725: Louis XIV’s personal reign and the Régence
- 1725–55: development of the rococo style
- 1755–90: return to classicism and the reign of Louis XVI.
Particular care has been taken in refurbishing period rooms in order to provide a clearer understanding of this luxurious art of living. This approach to exhibition design, adopted by some history museums in the nineteenth century, enables the reconstruction of the finest inventions of interior decorators and master craftsmen in their natural setting, such as the salons and library of the Villemaré residence, the drawing room of the Château d’Abondant, and the ceremonial bedchamber of the Hôtel de Chevreuse.
From June 6, 2014
Sully wing, 1st Floor