Can't play the medias? Download Flash Player.
- Image: Portrait de Lisa Gherardini (1479-1528), épouse de Francesco del Giocondo, dite Monna Lisa, la Gioconda ou la Joconde / Léonard de Vinci
- Image: Le 28 Juillet. La Liberté guidant le peuple (28 juillet 1830) / Delacroix, Eugène
- Image: LA DENTELLIERE / Vermeer de Delft, Jan Vermeer, dit
- Image: Le Tricheur / La Tour, Georges de
- Image: Sacre de l'empereur Napoléon Ier et couronnement de l'impératrice Joséphine dans la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le 2 décembre 1804 / David, Jacques Louis
- Image: Le Radeau de la Méduse / Géricault, Théodore
- Image: La Pietà de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon / Quarton, Enguerrand
- Image: Les Noces de Cana / Véronèse, Paolo Caliari, dit
- Image: Portrait de l'artiste tenant un chardon / Dürer, Albrecht
- Image: Le Couronnement de la Vierge / Fra Angelico, Guido di Pietro, dit
- Image: Le Chancelier Rolin en prière devant la Vierge, dit La Vierge du chancelier Rolin / Van Eyck, Jan
- Image: Le Jeune Mendiant / Murillo, Bartolomé Esteban
- Image: Pélerinage à l'île de Cythère / Watteau, Jean-Antoine
- Image: Le Christ se révélant aux pèlerins d'Emmaüs / Rembrandt, Harmensz van Rijn
- Image: La Mort de la Vierge / Le Caravage, Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, dit
- Image: Saint Jean Baptiste / Léonard de Vinci
Collections & departments Department of Paintings
The Department of Paintings reflects the encyclopedic scope of the Louvre, encompassing every European school from the 13th century to 1848. The collection is overseen by twelve curators, who are among the most renowned experts in their field.
The department and its research team
The collections are overseen by ten highly specialized curators. In most cases, they are responsible for the area of the collection that corresponds to their field of research:
Late 18th- and 19th-century France / Large-scale painted décor: Sébastien Allard
16th-century Italy: Vincent Delieuvin
17th- and 18th-century Flanders and Holland: Blaise Ducos
18th-century France / Great Britain and the United States: Guillaume Faroult
Victor Lyon, Croÿ, and Beistegui collections / German, Austrian, and Swiss schools / 19th-century Dutch and Belgian schools / Scandinavian and Russian schools: Elisabeth Foucart-Walter
Spain, Portugal, and Latin America: Guillaume Kientz
17th- and 18th-century Italy: Stéphane Loire
17th-century France: Nicolas Milovanovic
Flanders / 15th- and 16th-century Holland / 16th-century France: Cécile Scailliérez
14th- and 15th-century France / 13th- to 15th-century Italy / Greek and Russian icons: Dominique Thiébaut
Accessible to cultural professionals, specialized art historians, and students in at least their 4th year of higher education on the recommendation of a professor, the Department of Paintings research center is open Monday from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Tuesday to Friday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Access via the Porte des Lions entrance, on presentation of a valid ID.
The center boasts 12,000 artwork files corresponding to each of the paintings registered in the inventory of paintings at the Musée du Louvre since the Second Empire, as well as a wide range of general reference materials on painting from the Middle Ages to the mid-19th century (the Musée d’Orsay has comparable resources for artists born from 1820 onward).
The Louvre is open every day (except Tuesday) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.