Exhibition A Museum and Its Collection
The Musée Eugène-Delacroix, 2002–2014: Twelve Years of Acquisitions
from February 11, 2015 to June 30, 2015
Thanks to the commitment of the new Société des Amis d’Eugène Delacroix and the remarkable opportunity provided by affiliation with the Musée du Louvre in 2004, some 600 pieces have been added to the collection since 2002.
Eugène Delacroix moved into his rented accommodation in Rue de Fürstenberg in December 1857. He had already spent a considerable sum on renovating the apartment, building a studio and laying out the garden. Although he loved this home, he never imagined – as other artists, notably Gustave Moreau, would later do – that it might be preserved after his death.
Over sixty years after his demise in 1863 the studio was under threat of demolition. At the urging of artist Maurice Denis it was saved by the Société des Amis d’Eugène Delacroix (Friends of Eugène Delacroix association). The museum was opened as a memorial in 1929.
From the outset the crucial question was the collection. The premises were still laid out as their illustrious former tenant had decided, and the Delacroix spirit still reigned; but no artwork or other object remained as a reminder of his time there.
This singular collection comprises paintings, drawings, prints, manuscripts and other handwritten items by Delacroix and artists from his circle. The result is a distinctive vision of the oeuvre of a painter, printmaker and writer.
From February 11 to June 30, 2015
6, rue de Furstenberg
Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 41 86 50
Getting there – Metro:
Alight at Saint-Germain-des-Prés station (line 4) or Mabillon station (line 10).
Open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., except Tuesdays
€6 (included in the museum ticket)
Access is free to holders of tickets for the Musée du Louvre.